Steps to Success!
This is a comprehensive checklist on your way to fulfilling your academic goals and dreams! We realize that the decision to study and partner with an accredited institution is what needs to happen on your journey and will eventually lead to your success! This can be either very intimidating and confusing or exciting and challenging...and that is why we are here...
We therefore suggest that you take the opportunity to use this guide and see exactly what needs to be done every step of the way. As you complete each step you will easily be able to see what comes next, and you can even refer back to the checklist at any time to make sure you are on track.
Steps to ease your Academic Success!
Step 1 – Set Goals for Yourself
Goals help to keep you going by:
- Providing direction.
- Increasing your attention and focus.
- Increasing your motivation and effort.
- Reducing your anxiety and increasing your confidence.
Develop SMART goals that are: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timely!
Step 2 – Always have a Positive Attitude and Mindset
- Be positive about your ability to succeed.
- Look forward to what your will be learning.
- Have an inquiring mind – get curious and excited about your subjects!
Step 3 – Manage Your Time
- Set a realistic schedule for yourself – Distance learning, whilst juggling a family and work can be challenging – never impossible!
- Know where your time goes – don’t waste it, plan around it!
- Determine how many study hours per week you will require – Take into consideration the amount of subjects as well as your examination dates.
Step 4 – Read Textbooks & Course Readings
- Survey chapters before reading; read the chapter summary, look for bold and italicized words to indicate important concepts.
- Review chapters and readings before class.
- Re-read chapter and readings after class.
- Make study notes.
Step 5 – Attend your Classroom Hours
- Never miss your Lecture/Class!
- Intend to learn something each class you attend.
- Do assigned readings before class- you will take better notes.
- Ask questions as they arise: this will enhance your learning process.
- Sit in the first few rows – you’ll pay closer attention.
Step 6 – Record your Facilitator Notes
- Take notes in class.
- Review and edit notes after class – Within 24 hours.
- Aim for 3-4 major reviews of your notes before exams.
- Highlight import points, draw diagrams, make definitions.
Step 7 – Prepare for your Exams/Assessments
- Review past exams – if/when available.
- Make practice study questions.
- Memorize definitions and formulae – try cue cards.
- Know the type of exam to expect.
- Eat balanced meals and get enough sleep – 8 hours per night.
Step 8 – Write Your Exams
- Have a positive attitude; do your best!
- Arrive early with an extra pen and any necessary supplies. (e.g., Calculator if permitted – with fresh batteries).
- Read test questions and instructions – very clearly!
- Budget your time and leave time for review.
- Relax and don’t forget to breathe.
Step 9 – Where to Get More Help?
- Your Online Tutor/Facilitator is available to assist if you are having difficulty with any course work.
- Your instructor may be able to review material for you, present material in another way that you find easier to understand, recommend supplementary texts or other readings.
- You won’t know what help is available unless you ask.
- Don’t wait until the last minute; get help in a timely manner.
- Your Online Tutor/Facilitator can help you with things like course load, the repercussions on your program of withdrawing from a required course.